Thursday, November 28, 2013

I'm Thankful

Today wasn't my typical thanksgiving dinner from my 22 years of life. I didn't wake up to pots and pans falling from my mom waking up at 6am to prepare the turkey, or my sisters family barging into my home during the early morning or extended family that hasn't see each other in months celebrating with a drink or two.

Instead of me waking up to the fresh smell of coffee on thanksgiving, I woke up on my own... I woke up to an empty house, and like my empty house, my whole block was still, as if to say the whole world was sleeping in today, from all the hardships and economic dilemmas we deal with on a regular basis.

After waking up to the suns warmth on this chilly day, I made coffee and found myself driving to the hospital to see my parents. You see, my father was admitted to the hospital yesterday due to a pinch nerve in his lower back that caused a numbing sensation throughout the side of his body and had to undergo surgery. After making a nice recovery post the surgery, I greeted him and my mom with warm hugs while wishing them both a happy thanksgiving.
After getting home I found them to be exausted from the uncomfortable hospital conditions that always tends to lack that "home feeling". While they were getting settled in, there was no turkey this year or huge feast due to this procedures timing. So I took it upon myself to create a little something for my parents.

It may have not been Turkey but my homemade mash potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, biscuits and chicken and fish definitely made up for the occasion.

OH and pecan pie ;)

Thanksgiving isn't about the feast, but really the people you spend the time with around the feast, and I'm thankful for my mom and dad supporting me through this crazy journey we call life. And I'm thankful to have parents to spoil with dinner and slowly put them into a food coma..... 

the best kind of coma :) 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment