Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Beginning: Part 3

1,176 Miles, and roughly 20 hours of driving to the sunshine state, need I say more?

I've personally never gone on a road trip before, this being my first time with my dad I was very excited but nervous at the same time. Excited for going on a adventure, taking pictures, seeing places I've never seen before, and just experience something new for a change. I was nervous though, nervous I'd get pulled over for speeding, run out of gas, and get murdered by some crazy serial killer from the movies (ridiculous, right?). With all these things running through my head we left and I definitely made sure I had my Ipod fully charged ;)

we made it to Southern Indiana and pulled over to go eat at Denny's. My dad and I were talking about time zones and how we already had to change our time from central to eastern time which I thought was pretty crazy, also the fact that for only traveling a couple hundred miles southeast I already noticed some southern accents coming out from some people I spoke to. plus customs were changing like when my dad asked for coffee and creamer they gave him a little miniature pitcher of creamer rather than the little packages of it!

After Indiana, the Hills of Kentucky and Tennessee caught my attention, something I had never seen before was how beautiful the states south of Illinois could be, so I had to practice with my camera and took a couple pictures.
Hills of Tennessee

Finally by night fall we made it through Georgia and slept at some truck stop. Now keep in mind my dad and I are two 6ft guys in a very small 2006 Hyundai that's packed to its capacity with my belongings, along with my dads. We were uncomfortable on our breaks with little to no sleep :'( very depressing. by morning we made it to Florida, barely awake, and we both looked like Tom Hanks from Cast away with our Beards, or five o' clock shadows.

Once I got checked in at the welcome center and got my keys to the apartment, I found out I would be staying at Chatham Square (one of the housing complexes). Once we got to the door, there were some cars there but not a lot, people were slowly making their way to each others apartments. When I knocked on mine I was freaking out, nervous, gitters, sweating with the Florida heat, and didn't know what to do but smile out of being nervous. this guy with blond hair opens the door with his blue hat, shirt and shorts on, and I tell him "I think this is my new place?...." he responds "hay what's up, well come on in, my names Michael", with a southern accent. I was thinking in my head "OMG he's from the south, this is SOOO COOOL".

so we start talking and I get to know him and another roommate by the name of Justin. Now Justin is this tall 6'2" guy with a Bears football jersey on and after talking to him, he seemed just like any other guy from the Chicago land area. He was from Indiana, border line to Chicago. After talking to them and settling in I decided to room with Michael, the southern kid from Tifton, Georgia, because I wanted to try something different, and who would've thought a kid from Schiller Park, Illinois would be rooming with a kid from Southern Georgia by the name of Michael Kent Butler? not meee.

The night fall of my check in, I drop off my dad at a hotel since there are no over night stays at the housing complexes. By morning my dad would be catching a flight to Puerto Rico to visit family. highlight of my night though? my face hitting my pillows as I knock out and recover from that drive.

Little did I know, what the next couple months would have in store for me

No comments:

Post a Comment